Thursday, August 25, 2011

School bus

The last two years, William has gone to the elementary school just a mile from our house. Because it was so close, we usually dropped him off in the car. A few times he and I rode our bikes together to his school in the morning, on the bike path around the park. (I'm going to miss doing that with him.) But he's always wanted to ride on the school bus like the other kids.

Two weeks ago we found out that Evie was accepted into Kindergarten at a new charter school, but William was on the waiting list. Evie was so excited to go on the bus, she got up before 6 a.m. to catch it. She loves going to her new school. Meanwhile, I've been driving William 45 minutes to a day camp every morning, which he's been having fun at while he waits for his school year to start.

We've begged, prayed, and waited in hopes that William and Evie could both go to the same school together, somewhere, anywhere. (Evie was accepted into two schools, where William was not. And at William's normal school, Evie was not. It's been a crazy couple weeks.)

Then late last night I got an email from the charter school that let us know William was in, too. I told him the news this morning, and he quickly got a gentle smile on his face that turned into a big grin and he genuinely and innocently and calmly said "Yippee! Now I get to ride the bus!" I don't think I've ever seen him so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment