Thursday, July 15, 2004

The games people play

When William is lying on his back, I take both his feet, pull them up in the air and let them drop while saying "kaaa...boom!"  At first, the corners of his mouth twitch upward.  With each "ka-boom!" his smile widens, his mouth opens, and sometimes I even get a laugh.  He seems to like it; either that, or he's already learned to just humor me once in a while.  It works best when he's well rested, otherwise he doesn't find it as amusing.  It's always good for a distraction from crying.  
 
He also likes it when I bicycle his legs, faster and faster, while exciting my voice.  I also like to bounce his hands and arms around, or try to tickle him under his chin and on his chest, which I think he's starting to understand is supposed to make him giggle.  He's still learning.
 
While I'm on the subject of smiling and such, I've heard that smiles from newborns are usually just gas.  Well, I am going on the record right now to state unabashadly that gas and other internal discomforts produced a completely different facial and aural reaction in my newborn.  He wasn't laughing, I can tell you that, and neither were we. 
 
Being three months old, he now has less gas, or at least has learned which muscles to flex and which muscles to relax in order to produce the most relieving effect.  Ahem.  He also smiles a lot more lately.  I wonder if the two phenomena are related. 

No comments:

Post a Comment